Monday, April 30, 2012

Naming a machine

When I came to Google, I asked my desktop machine to be named "linus". I was asked: "Do you really want your machine named linus?"

But the thing is, the requested name is not after Linus Torvalds. 
I name my machines using a dictionary. Let me explain how. I name my machines after some theme, and the machine "linus", just like my primary box "alter", is named after the primary activity I was planning to do on it, namely "Git".

The first thing to do is to find a bunch of dictionary words that have G, I and T in this order. We may find these words: afGhanIsTan, linGuIsT, aGlITter,...

Then remove these G, I and T from these dictionary words to obtain: afhansan, linus, alter,...

Finally, pick ones that can be pronounced and preferrably in dictionary.

That is how the machine was called "linus", and the primary box I use at home is "alter". My general purpose notebook is called "wing" (named after its manufacturer
—can you guess who?).


Needless to say, I already know the name of my next Git machine: dial.

How do you name your machine?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DwELLing?